09.06.18 Wiggle Out Loud
This week Localites are joined by Chris "Boom!" Wiser of the Sugar Free Allstars and Sara Jacobson of The Children's Hospital Volunteers to talk about Wiggle Out Loud, coming up Sept. 16 at the Myriad Gardens Great Lawn. Wiggle Out Loud is OKC's free family music festival, promoting health and wellness for kids in Oklahoma. Learn more about Wiggle & all of the work the Volunteers do for The Children's Hospital at volunteeratchildrens.org.
This week's happenings include the sad news of Covell Park's closing coming up 9/30. This was the sister concept to the also closed Gurnsey Park, but located up in Edmond. We're sad to hear this news, but will keep you all posted on what goes into the space.
Speaking of going into old spaces, we finally know what's happening with the Chae space on 23rd Street. This week they announced a brand new concept called Social Deck + Dining, an American food restaurant slated to open in December 2018.
Our friends over at deadCenter announced big news this week! They are moving into to th Paramount building on Film Row. This will allow them to stay in their current district, but expand their offerings with "in-house Virtual Cinema and year-round film screenings" according to former guest and friend Lance McDaniel in an Oklahoman article. In celebration of this news, they are offering 2019 passes on sale for just $100 until Tuesday! That's half off, so take advantage of the discount and get yours now!
WEEKLY EVENTS RUNDOWN
- The Gorges Motel at Carpenter Square Theatre 09/07-09/29
- Lives intersect in comic and dramatic fashion in a motel that has seen better days in Watkins Glen, New York. Break-ups and a wedding, a rapping reverend and a drone attack, the ridiculous and the sublime all come together in one unlikely place.
- Tickets are just $25, get yours today by calling (405) 232-6500
- American Indian Artists: 20th Century Masters at National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum
- Happening now – May 12, 2019
- Rally in the Alley 5 - 8 p.m.
- Select Automobile Alley retailers will donate 20% of their sales to deserving organizations
- One Thousand Tears Opening Reception at Artspace at Untitled 5 - 8 p.m.
- A multimedia exhibit and installation, including printmaking, mixed media photography, large-scale sculptures, and an installation of one thousand cast resin teardrops
- Banjo Fest 2018 at American Banjo Museum through Saturday
- FemNation - Voices that Rise featuring Kathy Harms at chi gallery 6 - 8 p.m.
- Hear from the founder and executive director of Teen emPower!
- Event will feature food and door prizes, you can register to attend on Eventbrite
- Move the Needle 2018 at Will Rogers Theatre 6 - 8 p.m.
- Hosted by Sally’s List
- Meet the female candidates endorsed by Sally’s List that will be on the November ballot
- Tickets are $35
- Okie Show Show Season 3 Kickoff Party at Speakeasy 8 - 11 p.m.
- Celebrate the new season of Oklahoma’s podcast on the film and music industries
- First Thursday Saints Sessions at Saints 8 - 10 p.m.
- Midtown Oktoberfest at Midtown Lawn through Sunday
- Happenings at both Fassler Hall and the SW corner of NW 10th & Hudson
- 11 a.m. - 11 p.m. Friday & Saturday, 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. Sunday
- This event will feature German food & beer festival featuring live polka, music, plus a variety of Oktoberfest contests. Plus, a portion of event proceeds will benefit OK Humane!
- The event will be kid friendly until 8 p.m. and then switch to 21+ with ID after 8 p.m.
- Breakfast with Benefits at Neighborhood JAM 5 - 9 p.m.
- Benefiting Children’s Hospital Foundation
- Paseo First Friday Gallery Walk 6 - 9 p.m.
- Opening receptions of new exhibits at many of the galleries
- Photofest at Paseo Art Space
- Glitter & Glam at The Paseo Plunge
- OKC 48 Hour Film Project Awards at Tower Theatre 7 p.m.
- Tickets are just $5 on Ticketfly
- OKCMOA Renaissance Ball Late Night at OKC Golf and Country Club 9:30 p.m. - 12 a.m.
- Miss Gay America Benefit Show for Raven Delray at Frankie’s 10 p.m.
- 13+ drag performers, auction baskets
- Free entry
- VegFest OKC at Myriad Gardens 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Food trucks, vendors, guest speakers and fitness classes on the Great Lawn
- Heritage Hills Bike Tour 10 - 11:30 a.m.
- Tour hosted by Oklahoma Historical Society and Preservation Oklahoma
- Starts and ends at Overholser Mansion
- Bring your own bike or get a discount when you use Ride OKC. Just enter the code OKHISTORY at www.rideokc.com/bike-rentals to get a three-hour bike rental (helmet included) for only $10!
- Free to attend, but register at www.okhistory.org/offcenter
- Septemberfest 2018 at Oklahoma History Center and Governor’s Mansion 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Theme this year is Rodgers and Hammerstein’s ‘Oklahoma!’ celebrating the 75 year anniversary of the musical
- Arts and crafts, chuck wagon cooking, living history, face painting, laser tag, museum exhibits, pony rides, square dancing, live performances and much more
- Poke & Paws On The Patio at Okie Pokie 12 - 3 p.m.
- This is their first time hosting this event
- They will have tennis balls, doggy treats, a poke bowl raffle, and more!
- The Underdogs Rescue Foundation will be on site with pet adoptions
- International Cooking Class at Raindrop Turkish House 3 - 5 p.m.
- Full meal served at the end of class
- Future classes scheduled: 9/22, 10/6, 11/10, 12/1, 1/12, 1/26, 2/9, 2/23, 3/9, 4/20
- Event is $20 on Eventbrite
- 5 Course Guest Chef Dinner with Loretta Barrett Oden at Stella 7 - 10 p.m.
- Dinner will feature a 5 course menu with wine pairings available
- Tickets are $60, call 405-235-2200 to make your reservations
- Couture Collective Launch Party at Hideout Art 5:30 - 8:30 p.m.
- Food, fun and fashion with door prizes, discounts and drawings
- Portion of sales to be donated to the Junior League of Oklahoma City supporting their mission serving OKC
- Couture Collective is a brand new online local boutique, shop them at https://cc-okc.com/