08.16.18 The Scout Guide OKC
This week Localites are joined by Emmi Kobs, owner and editor-in-chief of The Scout Guide OKC. We learned all about how she came up with the idea to bring the Guide to Oklahoma City and we're so excited for Volume 3 to launch at the end of September! Learn more at thescoutguide.com/oklahoma-city/ and follow along on social media to be the first to know where to get your hands on Volume 3!
The big news in local media this week was the announcement of the OKC Talk and Oklahoma Gazette merger! We're excited to see what this means for both outlets.
As far as new businesses and restaurants go, The Crepe Bar opened on Tuesday and is now soft opened from 5 - 9 p.m. daily. This new Japanese dessert truck is located next to Tamashii Ramen in Midtown.
Weekly Events Rundown
- Third Thursday at OKCMOA: Raise the Barre 5 - 10 p.m.
- Ballet performances at 6, 7 and 8 p.m. (ticket required)
- OKC Happy Hour at Kwan’s Kitchen 5:30 - 7:30 p.m.
- Come and go networking event
- Share at the Showroom: Tiffany McKnight and Najah-Amatullah 6 - 7 p.m.
- Artist Tiffany McKnight’s work features pattern-making and illustration inspired by African textiles, Art Nouveau, biology and natural flora and fauna
- Poet Najah-Amatullah will read from her works
- Third Thursday Photowalk at OKC Underground 6 - 8 p.m.
- Hosted by Bedford Camera monthly at different locations
- Meeting at corner of 4th & Harvey to take photos in the underground
- Battle of the Corporate Bands at Belle Isle Brewery 6 - 9 p.m.
- Hosted by The Journal Record and OK Film & Music
- 5 bands of all genres including blues, classic rock, rock, country and folk
- $30 at the door
- Whinos for Rhinos at Water’s Edge Winery 6 - 9 p.m.
- Hosted by OKC Zoo
- Four wine tastings paired with food from local restaurants
- $25 in advance on Eventbrite, $30 at the door if available
- Bad in Bed Live! at Tower Theatre through Sunday
- Adapted from the book We’re All Bad in Bed by Enid native Shelby Simpson
- 6 performances, Saturday 7 p.m. already sold out
- $35 Badinbed.live for tickets and showtimes
- Guyutes 3 Year Anniversary Fest through Sunday
- Raffle for new TV and other prizes
- Live music each night featuring:
- Thursday - Hosty
- Friday - Kestrel & Kite
- Saturday - The Lost Highway and DJ B
- Sunday - Rousey
- 2018 Raising the Stakes at Leadership Square Atrium 6:30 - 9:30 p.m.
- Casino party hosted by United Way of Central Oklahoma’s Emerging Leaders
- Food from Kam’s Kookery
- Music by OK Sessions
- $30 for one person, $50 for two
- Oklahoma Born and Brewed at the Oklahoma Hall of Fame 7 - 10 p.m.
- Listen back to our episode on last year's event!
- Books & Brews at Full Circle Bookstore 7 - 9 p.m.
- Brews from COOP
- This month’s event features music from Randy Cassimus
- ShiftFaced End of Campaign Party at The Paramount Room 7 - 10 p.m.
- Fundraiser hosted by Planet Thunder Productions for their film Shifter
- A young woman experiences painful side effects from an experiment with time travel gone wrong
- Drinks, snacks, music and raffles
- $10 suggested donation at the door
- Filmography: "The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Him/Her" 8 - 10 p.m. at 21c Museum Hotel 8 - 10 p.m.
- One version of the film is from the female’s perspective in the love story and another from the male’s perspective.
- They will be screening both “Her” and “Him” versions simultaneously
- Meet the Mayor Breakfast at OCU Meinders School of Business 9 - 11:30 a.m.
- Hosted by Neighborhood Alliance of Central Oklahoma
- Complimentary breakfast from C2 Catering, but you must register using link
- Love OKC One Day 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. at State Fair Park
- Board Games and Beer at Twisted Spike 12 - 8 p.m.
- Hosted by Oklahoma Board Game Community
- Soft Cheese Making Class at The Market at Quail Springs 2 - 4 p.m.
- Hosted by The Cheese Wench
- Learn to make ricotta and mozzarella and get a cheesemaking kit to take home
- $65 - call Amanda at 918-408-9626 to see if space is still available
- CBE's August 2018 Heard on Hurd 6 - 10 p.m.
- 30+ food trucks, 10+ vendors, beer from COOP and Roughtail
- 2018 Dancing for a Miracle at Embassy Suites Norman 6:30 - 11 p.m.
- Fundraiser for Children’s Hospital Foundation in the style of Dancing with the Stars
- Ticket sales end Friday get yours here.
- Cat Video Festival at Myriad Gardens 7 - 10 p.m.
- 75-minute romp through the Internet’s finest cat video offerings
- Film starts at 9 p.m. with pre-film activities including food trucks, live music, 20+ vendors and drinks
- Hot Dang! Happy Birthday at NASHBIRD 10:30 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Co-hosted by Prairie Artisan Ales
- Frozé and Jack n Coke slushie specials, beer specials
- Live bluegrass music by Bread and Butter Band
- Best chicken costume wins $100
- Summer Succulents Class at Bleu Garten 2 - 4 p.m.
- Hosted by Wine and Palette
- Tickets are $32 and available at wineandpalette.com
- 424Fest at Oak and Ore through Friday
- Daily specials starting at 6 p.m.
- Monday - Heirloom Rustic Ales and Twisted Spike
- Tuesday - Stonecloud
- Wednesday - Prairie Artisan Ales and Provisions Fine Beverages
- Thursday - COOP Ale Works
- Friday - The Brewers Union
- Brush Lettering Workshop at Higher Grounds 6:30 - 8 p.m.
- Calligraphy workshop
- Tickets are $37 and can be purchased at lecalligraphy.com/workshops
- O' Canada: Exploring Canadian Whiskies at The Barrel Room 6:30 - 8 p.m.
- Tickets are $45 and available at winebarrelokc.com
- “Your Name" at Tower Theatre 7 p.m.
- Hosted by Tunes/Toons Podcast
- Tickets are $10 on Ticketfly
- Kerr Park Kickoff Party 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Located at 123 Robert S Kerr in downtown OKC
- Featuring music, games, and complimentary pizza for all guests while supplies last
- For more information about the project and the space, visit www.downtownokc.com
- Tuesday Weekly $45 Wine Dinner Special is Back! at La Brasa 5 - 10 p.m.
- Scheduled through November
- Dinner for two with a bottle of wine for $45, get your tickets at labrasaokc.com/reservations/
- End of Summer Spanish Wine Dinner at Packard’s 6 - 9 p.m.
- 5 course dinner with wine pairings
- Tickets are $85 and available on Eventbrite
- The Make Othello's Great Again Comedy Show at Othello’s Norman 10 p.m. - 12 a.m.
- Hosted by OKC Comedy
- Othello's is relaunching their Tuesday comedy night
- Language & The Brain: How to Frame Powerful Messages at The Paramount Room 6 - 8 p.m.
- Tickets are $40 to attend in person or just $20 to attend via Facebook Live: https://dfb-consulting.ticketleap.com/language-and-the-brain/
- Wine Dinner Buoncristiani Family Winery at Vast 6:30 - 9:30 p.m.
- They are a Napa Valley winery
- Event features a 5 course pairing dinner
- Tickets are $135 on Eventbrite